Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Darwin Dispute is Picking Up

A few years ago, I attended a men's lunch gathering at my church. Usually the speaker is a local Christian professional athlete. This time the speaker was talking about 'Intelligent Design'. This movement proposes that the incredible complexity and wonderful diversity found in natural organisms can not be explained by Darwin's Theory of Evolution alone. The more science shows us about the building blocks of life (such as DNA), the more it points to creation by some intelligence beyond ourselves.

The cover story for October issue of Wired is all about the controversy. It's available online now, although I have not read the entire article yet. I admit that I do not know much beyond my single high school biology class (and I received a D one quarter!), but have always struggled to believe that humans evolved from single-cell slim. I can fathom small changes within a species, but not the large jumps in evolution between the species of animals, and humans. What do you think?

No comments: